Program in Jordan
In Jordan, the authority of the man over the woman is based on communal traditions and religious interpretations so that, in reality, men keep control over women’s bodies and behaviors, on which rests the honor of the family. Keeping control over the woman means denying her the exercise of her most basic rights and adopting practices deemed discriminatory in Europe, but very common in Jordan.
To mention just a few of these practices:
1) The establishment of a network of 12 organizations in 3 Jordanian governorates;
2) Capacity-building training of 12 partners (TOT);
3) Media awareness campaign in 3 regions from Jordan;
4) Awareness sessions in the civil society (adults, students);
5) Advocacy with elected leaders and decision makers;
6) Support towards the reintegration of 20 women held in administrative detention
Despite the difficult year due to the pandemic context, SIGI organized online trainings for the members of 12 organizations across the country. Family mediations were set up for the women locked up in administrative detention for being victims of sexual abuse or for protecting them from honour crimes. Solutions are discussed and drawn up with the women and sometimes with their family regarding their social and economic rehabilitation. They follow professional courses in order to ensure their financial autonomy upon release from administrative detention.
Avenue Louis-Ruchonnet 3,
Phone: 0041 21 311 27 31